Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spring Break-Days 5, 6 and 7

Here we go!

Day 5

Day 5 consisted of more doing of nothing. There was sleeping and eating and playing "basketball" and "tennis" at 10pm. I'm pretty sure there was was a visit to the hot tub in there as well. And of course, more swings. Apparently nothing picture worthy because I don't have any pictures...

Day 6

This was a fun day. We drove into Nashville, the "Athens of the South" and visited the Parthenon. Steph L., as I may have mentioned before, is a Architectural History nerd, big time, so she was ecstatic. The Parthenon and the statue replicas inside were pretty amazing. The Athena statue is 41'10" and there were Elgin statues, which have something to do with a British guy named Elgin who took them from the real Parthenon and moved them to the British Museum and now Greece wants them back, etc. I don't remember the story exactly but Steph L. sure knew a lot about it all. I thought they were pretty. I also love Greek Mythology and enjoyed seeing statues of people/gods that I've read about. Mythology is such an interesting part of the Greek culture and it was exciting to see pieces of that, even if they are just replicas.

After the Parthenon we headed back to Crossville where we did more relaxing and eating and I think Elizabeth and I watched Footloose. Good movie, FYI.

The Parthenon

Steph L. being excited about the Parthenon

Athena

The Medusa shield

Demeter and Persephone statue

Elizabeth and Steph L.

Lex and I (in my new dress!)

Steph L. being happy while hugging a column


Day 7

Our last day in Tennessee was spent doing more of nothing. Elizabeth and I went to the hot tub again. We ate, relaxed (what else is knew?) and around 7pm went to Ink Impressions to get Lex a tattoo or two. She had been planning on getting them next weekend as a birthday gift to herself but decided when we passed by a tattoo parlor to check them out and see about doing it now. She was completely nervous but the guys at the parlor were great and Travis did an excellent job. Travis and Steph L. had a good time joking around. Steph L. is very, well, white and Travis is very southern, tattooed and pierced. Even though they are opposites they became "home skillet biscuits" as Steph L. said. Good times.

Lex's new feet

Her left says "Sacred" and the right "Profane". It's an Anthropology thing that has personal significance to Lex. I think it looks amazing.

Steph with her new found friend

The next day we packed and cleaned up and were out of there! Being back is great. It is sort of strange to think about getting back into a schedule and going to classes. In fact, it's kind of stressful and not a comfortable feeling. I am glad I'll be doing things again. Doing nothing can get boring after a while but still...

Hey, a month and a half left and it'll be summer!

You can see all of the pictures on Facebook here and here and here.

The end

No comments: